Unstuffed Pepper Bowls
This lunch meal prep is a quick take on traditional stuffed peppers.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice of choice + water
- 1 pound 85% lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon each fine sea salt & fresh ground black pepper
- 2 green bell peppers finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 medium onion finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, extra liquid drained
- 3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Prepare your preferred rice according to package directions in water or broth
- Place a large deep non-stick skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. When hot, add ground beef, salt and pepper. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to break the meat into small pieces as it cooks. Cook the meat for about 4-5 minutes or until just barely cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- While the meat continues to cook, add the peppers and onions to the same pan and cook until beginning to soften, about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the garlic, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, along with salt & pepper to season. Reduce heat to low and cook for 3-4 minutes, letting it simmer and bubble, stirring occasionally.
- Add additional salt & pepper to taste.
- If serving immediately, add cheese and cover for 90 seconds to melt. For meal prep, add about 1/2 cup or so cooked rice to each of four or five meal prep containers. Portion the unstuffed pepper mixture into each meal prep container and add a heavy sprinkle of cheese. Store for up to four days in the refrigerator, or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Protein – 45g Carbs – 36g Fat – 28g