I preach this a lot on my blog but it can’t be stated enough–the best way to lose weight and look great is to lift weights. Cardio strengthens your heart. Resistance training strengthens your entire body. Women have long been encouraged to do HIIT training or circuit training or aerobics, but lifting weights is where it’s at if you want to look amazing. Here are 7 reasons why women should lift weights:
- You’ll burn more calories. Muscle is your body’s furnace. It burns calories just by being there. That means you’ll not only burn calories during your workout, but 24 hours afterward, too!
- It increases your bone density. As women age, their bone density decreases causing osteoporosis and making them more susceptible to fractures. Building muscle is insurance against that inevitable decline in bone density.
- You will look better. The “toned” look every woman craves doesn’t come from hours on the elliptical or running, it comes from resistance training. Building muscle builds curves.
- Prevents muscle loss. As women age they start to lose muscle and it’s harder for them to keep the muscle they have. Losing muscle leads to a host of health issues, including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hormone imbalances, obesity, high cholesterol and blood pressure, and more. Weight training slows down that muscle loss and keeps you healthy.
- You will lose more fat. When you lose weight from dieting roughly 75 percent is body fat loss and the rest is muscle. When you preserve muscle and/or build it, not only will you keep the “bad” weight off, you will look better and your body will function better. Maintaining muscle burns calories and keeps the fat off.
- You will feel better. Research shows people who perform strength workouts have better overall moods and tend to handle stressful situations better.
- You will stay strong and independent. Not only will you be able to carry the groceries in with just one or two trips, but you will be able to lift your luggage into the overhead compartment without help. Plus, you’ll have more stamina for household chores and everyday life. It keeps you healthy and able to do whatever you want to do!
Resistance training is the way to better health. Cardio has its place, too, but muscle building will always be the superior way for women to age healthfully. Happy lifting!